Sunday 9 August 2015

100 Days On The Road

Today we celebrate 100 days on the road!  Lucky that we made it, really.  I swear that I almost froze to death last night.  I thought that Carnarvon Gorge was cold but I believe that Surat was well below zero last night!  It was so cold I went to bed wearing all the clothes I brought with me, under all the blankets that we have with us.  I was still frozen!  I suppose that it didn’t help that Fletcher came in to snuggle in during the night, then proceeded to have a rare night time ‘accident’.  I am surprised it didn’t freeze as it came out!  Needless to say we all ended up wet AND cold!

By about 8.30am it had warmed up sufficiently for us to get out of bed and rekindle the fire. 

 
We toasted crumpets over the camp fire then packed up and hit the road, with the heater on full blast!  We stopped in briefly at Dalby then headed straight for Toowoomba where we were to meet up with an old friend of Bruce’s.

It did occur to me while travelling down the Warrego Highway at 100 kph, looking for an unfamiliar vehicle coming the other way being driven by a guy Bruce hadn’t seen for 30 years, that it might be like looking for a needle in a haystack.  We did find Frosty (appropriate name, I thought, given the weather conditions!)however, and he led us back to his beautiful home in Highfields and his lovely partner Jodie.

The boys were thrilled to be able to watch a Harry Potter movie and Bruce and I were just as thrilled to be able to sleep in a warm, soft, luxurious bed for the night.

We enjoyed some great laughs with Dave and Jodie, and a great beef and reef at the Meringandan Hotel.

Many thanks to the publican who re-opened the kitchen for us after 8pm.  Bruce and Dave had apparently spent a little too much time reminiscing about the Belmont High School days…

After dinner it was back to Dave and Jodie’s place for dessert and the ruminating moved on a few years to the days Bruce and Dave spent at Army Apprentice School together.  Fletcher had a little trouble adjusting to sleeping in a bed...
...and apart from a brief hysterical sleep walking episode, a warm, peaceful night was had by all.

No comments:

Post a Comment